Community Shield!! 10 Things You Need To Know About Arsenal Vs Chelsea Match Today
This year’s traditional curtain raiser in England, is a clash between Arsenal and Chelsea.
It is an annual match contested between the champions of the previous Premier League season and the holders of the FA Cup at Wembley Stadium.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the match:
1. The match will be contested by 2016/2017 FA Cup winners, Arsenal and the 2016/2017 Premier League champions, Chelsea.
2. This year’s encounter will be the 95th FA Community Shield.
3. Game kicks off 2pm on Sunday at Wembley Stadium.
4. Teams in the Community Shield are permitted up to 6 substitutions.
5. The FA has cleared Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal) and Victor Moses (Chelsea) to feature in the game.
6. The most successful team in the competition are Manchester United, who have won the Shield 21 times (including 17 outright wins and 4 shared titles).
7. During his tenure at Arsenal, Arsene Wenger has won six of his eight appearances in this fixture (and lost only on penalties in 2003 to Manchester United).
8. It will be Antonio Conte’s first ever Community Shield fixture.
9. The FA has confirmed that the new ‘ABBA’ penalty shoot-out format will used, if the match ends in a draw after 90 minutes.
10. The last time Arsenal met Chelsea in the Community Shield was in 2015, with Arsenal winning 1-0 thanks to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s strike.
Written By Ifreke Inyang